Major Gift Officer
Spirit of America seeks a Major Gift Officer to expand the organization’s base of donors and prospects. This is a front-line fundraising role for someone who is looking to make a difference in the world by helping to advance freedom and democracy and who is energized by working at the intersection of US foreign policy, global humanitarian impact, and entrepreneurship. We are looking for a team member with a strong interest in national security, military affairs and foreign policy and a deep commitment to the safety and success of America’s troops and diplomats. The position entails building new, as well as maintaining existing relationships with foundations and high net worth individuals. The Major Gift Officer will report to Spirit of America's Chief Development Officer.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts of $100,000 and higher with the expectation of raising at least $1,500,000 annually.
- Actively build a major gift prospect portfolio with the goal of carrying approximately 125 major gift prospects.
- Using moves management, engage prospects in each phase of development.
- Oversee all aspects of each major gift prospect’s relationship and timely movement through the solicitation cycle, in coordination with other team members as appropriate, with a focus on moving to a major gift proposal.
- Monitor all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations and document using Salesforce.
- Lead and/or attend donor cultivation and/or solicitation meetings and plan/execute fundraising events.
- Work collaboratively and strategically with Spirit of America staff and Board members.
- Participate in and contribute substantively to organizational strategy and planning sessions.
- Lead donor engagements with field team members.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, and an advanced degree is preferred.
- A strong interest in national security is required and prior service in the US military is preferred.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, practices, and daily operations within a high functioning development office, including: discovering and qualifying prospects and donors; initiating contact and tracking outreach; developing creative and effective solicitation strategies; moving prospects and donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation.
- Demonstrated experience using moves management to achieve strategic goals.
- A positive, organized, team-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Proven record of building a prospect pool, cultivating donor relationships and closing gifts in the six-figure range. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Ability to articulate and present clear, persuasive written and verbal communications.
- Poise and presence that inspires confidence in both internal and external audiences of all levels.
- Flexibility and willingness to engage in weekend/evening meetings and undertake regional and national travel up to 50% of the time.
Salary range $95,000 to $125,000 based on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, and 403b contribution match to 4%.
Spirit of America
Spirit of America is a 501c3 nonprofit citizen service organization. We are citizens serving the nation, doing our part to preserve America’s freedoms and support those who serve America abroad. Our purpose is to ensure the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness prevail, and all who seek a free and better life are able to achieve it. This is patriotism without politics.
Spirit of America was founded in response to the attacks of 9/11. Our mission is to support the safety and success of Americans serving abroad and the local people and partners they seek to help. We are officially approved by Congress and the Department of Defense to work alongside deployed US troops and provide private assistance in support of their missions.
Spirit of America helps those who serve our nation abroad return home safely and proud of their success. We help our troops and diplomats build trust and goodwill, prevent conflict, and strengthen America’s security. Our work saves lives and limbs. In the world’s toughest places, people experience the best of who Americans are and what we stand for.
Spirit of America is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics) or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. Our commitment to equal opportunity employment applies to all persons involved in our operations and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including supervisors and co-workers.