Director, Donor Relations
Spirit of America (SoA) seeks a Director, Donor Relations to support frontline fundraisers and sustain positive and mutually rewarding relations between Spirit of America and our supporters by planning and implementing stewardship activities for donors; creating stewardship reports and acknowledgements, making use of PowerPoint, video, and email; coordinating tailored donor stewardship and recognition events and trips; and ensuring timely and thorough tracking of stewardship activities.
This new position will report to the Chief Development Officer and requires a keen understanding of the importance of building relationships between SoA and its supporters and must be able to initiate and prepare sensitive and confidential correspondence and other documents with a high level of discretion.
Spirit of America’s fundraising has increased significantly in each of the last five years. A new Chief Development Officer is committed to creating a program that is innovative, collaborative, and driven to meet the expanding needs of the organization in meeting its mission. This is an exciting time to join a rapidly growing team.
As a member of a growing department and organization, the Director, Donor Relations requires excellent verbal and written communications skills, a collaborative team approach to problem solving, and possession of strong editing, research, analytical, and organizational skills. Capacity to manage a high-volume workload and changing priorities, initiative, attention to detail, and the ability to function independently are essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Chief Development Officer, create a comprehensive, best- practice donor relations and stewardship program that supports the cultivation, recognition, and stewardship of SoA’s donors, at all levels, and fosters their ongoing engagement.
- Facilitate ongoing stewardship and donor relations ensuring high-quality, individualized experiences for top donors and prospects, including acknowledgment letters, gift-fund management, and physical donor recognition, and impact reporting.
- Monitor, evaluate, and demonstrate success with data, metrics, and stories.
- Track individual, corporate and foundation successes and translate this information into funder materials and pitches such as talking points and slide presentations.
- Monitor “in the door” funds, including checks, wire, stock, and online donations of a certain threshold.
- Collaborate with the finance and marketing teams to design and implement stewardship policies and procedures related to donor recognition and gift-fund management and reporting.
- Respond to requests for information from donors relating to giving processes, procedures, and opportunities and gift documentation such as tax receipts and thank you letters.
- Partner with frontline fundraisers to craft strategic stewardship plans and thank donors.
- Stay informed of innovative ideas and best practices.
- Collaborate across the organization to ensure stewardship and donor engagement efforts continually prioritize donor’s cultivation, retention and growth, engagement, and satisfaction.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required with 7+ years of experience in donor relations, stewardship, development, communications, marketing or similar work.
- Excellent verbal, written, and proof-reading skills and exacting attention to detail.
- Proven ability working with database software, spreadsheet software (such as Excel), graphing and charting software, word processing software (such as Word) and presentation software (such as PowerPoint).
- Strong knowledge of fundraising and stewardship best practices.
- Experience with SalesForce preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and the ability to foster relationships with current and potential donors.
Spirit of America
Spirit of America is a nonprofit citizen service organization founded in response to the attacks of 9/11. Our mission is to engage citizens in preserving the promise of a free and better life. We do this by working alongside troops and diplomats to save and improve lives, promote values shared by Americans and our allies, strengthen relationships with allies, friends, and partners, and demonstrate that the United States is a friend of those who seek a better life. We are officially approved by Congress and the Department of Defense to work alongside deployed US troops and provide private assistance in support of their missions.
Spirit of America helps our troops and diplomats build trust and goodwill, prevent conflict, and strengthen America’s security. Our work saves and improves lives. In the world’s toughest places, people experience the best of who Americans are and what we stand for.
Spirit of America offers a competitive salary and compensation package.
To work at Spirit of America, you must be vaccinated against COVID-19.